What do I do in Beijing?

This “We’re Here in Beijing” post has two purposes. First, to inform those you who don’t know me about what I do here in Beijing. Second, to inform those of you who know me…. What the heck I’m doing in Beijing.

For those who may be coming across me online for the first time, I’m a Canadian international school teacher who moved to Beijing in August 2017 with my family. I spent the last 10 years living in Kobe, Japan. My wife is Japanese and my kids were born and raised in Kobe. (btw….I freakin LOVE Kobe!)

In Kobe I was an international school teacher.

Now we are here in Beijing.

For those of you who have been following me online for some time, through my YouTube channel “BusanKevin” or my podcast “Just Japan Podcast” or my Twitter, Instagram…blah, blah, blah….  I now live in Beijing, China with my family and I am an international school teacher.

There has been some confusion, even with those who have followed me for years on social media or as a content creator.

I am not an English teacher.

English teacher and international school teachers are two completely different things.

I was an English teacher in Korea from 2002-2007.

I’ve been an international school teacher ever since.

So…

What the heck is an international school teacher?

What do we do?

Where do we work?

Let’s start by answering a simple question. What is an international school?

I’m going to talk about international schools that use English as the only or main language or teaching.

An international school is a private school set up in a non-English speaking country to serve an English-speaking and sometimes non-English speaking clientele! …(confused yet?)

In many large cities around the world there are large expat (foreign citizens living abroad) populations. Many may work for large foreign companies, embassies, consulates, militaries, etc. Some have been transferred there with their families. If they have children, they don’t want to send them to a local school where the language won’t be English. They want their children to have an education similar to the one they were getting back in their home country. Their children might be nursery school age through high school.

The reading corner of my classroom. 


How do they get that education? Simple. Send them to a school in that foreign country that teaches a curriculum from the U.S., U.K., Canada, etc., and populate that school with trainied teachers from those countries!

That’s where people like me come in.

These schools are also popular with local families who want their children to have an English education/international experience and have pretty deep pockets (international schools are normally quite expensive).

My students working hard on a Math "Breakout Room" assessment! 


English teacher work in private English language schools teaching children or adults. They normally teach kids after school and adults throughout the day. They also may be posted in public schools teaching English lessons throughout the week.

So…

What do I do?

As an elementary school teacher, I teach a group of more than 20 young learners 5 days a week. I teach all subjects aside from P.E., Music and Art. I teach the students, I do assessment, I am in charge of all parental communication and a LOT more!

My students watching a presentation on our classroom SmartBoard. 


I do the exact same job an elementary school teacher does in Canada. I just don’t happen to be in Canada.

Many people who have followed me for sometime also wonder why my family and I left Japan for China. Why?

Well….JOB UPGRADE!

I love Japan and was sad to leave, but this was a great career move. A level up! My wife also realized this. Great for my career and since my kids can attend my school as students as part of the benefits package, it was a no-brainer.

My son and one of his friends enjoying lunch in the cafeteria. 


We are happy we came here. There have been and will be more challenges, but overall, a move worth taking.






The writer:

Kevin O'Shea is an IB/PYP educator at a major international school in Beijing, China. He has lived in South Korea as well as Japan. He is the host of the Just Japan Podcast, an avid nature photographer and nature educator. 


Follow him on  Twitter (Main account): @jlandkev

Twitter (educator account): @MadForMaple 
JustWildlife (facebook.com/justwildlife) – nature and more

Comments