Baby Steps in Beijing...PIZZA!

Baby steps…

That’s sometimes the way too look at a move to a new country. Taking things little by little.

I have a very busy schedule so I cannot just jump into things in China. I’m not a traveler who can get up early in the morning and explore hutongs, try different types of street food and visit loads of tourist spots and markets each and everyday.

I work a busy week and then have weekends free. I have weekends free, but for those reading who don’t have a family with young kids, it may be a little hard to understand my situation.

I can’t just throw the kids in the back of the car and drive to new destinations and tour. I have to take two young kids on buses, subways and taxis. When we walk a lot they get tired and grumpy. When the crowds are big and they get jostled around they also get grumpy. They do that because they are normal kids and that’s how kids often react to situations.

That being said, we take things little by little.

My little victory yesterday was to order food using the WeChat app. I hooked up my bank account to it on Saturday so I can use WePay. Everyone uses WePay here. Soon they say that Beijing will become the first cashless city in Asia. I totally believe that!

We also used WePay to order some organic vegetables and have them delivered.

Both worked well and we think we’ll probably only order food and groceries on days when the AQI (we are in Beijing afterall) is really high and we don’t want to leave the house.

The two pizzas and lasagna serving cost 179 RMB which is about 2,900 Japanese yen or $32 CAD. The pizzas were cooked in a wood-fired over. I realize there are cheaper places around, but we weren’t looking for cheap. We were looking for convenient and tasty! We will experiment with other pizza places in the future.






Last night we ordered couple of awesome pizzas and some lasagna from Annie’s. That’s a pretty well-known Italian Restaurant franchise here in Beijing. The delivery was quick, price affordable and the food was great! Overall, all 4 of us were happy.


Baby steps in Beijing…






The writer:

Kevin O'Shea is an IB/PYP educator at a major international school in Beijing, China. He has lived in South Korea as well as Japan. He is the host of the Just Japan Podcast, an avid nature photographer and nature educator. 


Follow him on  Twitter (Main account): @jlandkev

Twitter (educator account): @MadForMaple 
JustWildlife (facebook.com/justwildlife) – nature and more

Comments