Duck Tongue Anyone? -- Part 1


When you move to a new country there are many things to get used to. You need to learn about language, customs, culture and of course the food.

Today a lovely young student ran into class during our school snack time. She had been at her locker getting her snack from her bag.

With the biggest smile on her face she said, “Mr. O’Shea! You have to try this. It’s my favorite snack. I brought this for you!”

What did she give me?

Something I’ve never seen before.

Duck tongue!

Yup....that's a packet of duck tongue!


I have to admit that growing up I was anything but an adventurous eater. I have gotten better over the years and certainly eat a lot more now than I ever did when I lived in Canada.

Ironically, when my student gave the duck tongue to me, this was and still is the background on my computer. A pair of Mandarin ducks. As many of you know I am into birding and entomology. I love ducks. Not against eating birds (I eat chicken)....just ironic!


Some things though…

There will be a Part 2 to this blog…..

When I get the courage and become more of a “Risk taker” (teacher speak) I will do a test (I’ll shoot it for YouTube as well).






The writer:

Kevin O'Shea is an IB/PYP educator at a major international school in Beijing, China. He has lived in South Korea as well as Japan. He is the host of the Just Japan Podcast, an avid nature photographer and nature educator. 


Follow him on  Twitter (Main account): @jlandkev

Twitter (educator account): @MadForMaple 
JustWildlife (facebook.com/justwildlife) – nature and more


Comments